To empower consumers to achieve quality health care and well-being through education and access to medical research.
About the Grillo Center
The Grillo Health Information Center plays an important role in helping individuals make better decisions to sustain and improve health and well-being.
As more individuals and families develop confidence in their own ability to access health care information and in their own health management practices, they will personally experience improved health and well-being.
We have learned that those who make the most significant contributions to others are those who have been through similar challenges and who have experienced positive outcomes. Many of our volunteers are such individuals.
At the core of the Grillo Health Information Center, is the belief that individuals can and should take charge of their own health and well-being, and that most have the power within themselves to do so.
Studies by the National Institute of Health show that low health literacy has a real financial cost to health care delivery systems. Poor health literacy is linked to higher rates of chronic illness, hospitalizations, and expensive emergency services. It affects everyone, and comes at a high price not only for health and well-being, but for the health care system in general. Low health literacy is estimated to cost between $106 and $234 billion annually.
We are here to do health research for you. It is our belief that an informed public reduces the over all cost of health care.
We strive to:
- Meet the growing demand for accurate, current, reliable and accessible health and medical information with special efforts toward the vulnerable and under-served.
- Provide specialized medical and health care searches to meet consumers’ requested needs.
- Contribute to health literacy.
- Encourage preventive care and health management practices.
- Promote informed decision-making.
- Provide consumers with information regarding their health care questions and treatment options.
- Deliver confidential and compassionate services through well-trained, experienced volunteers.
- Maintain high standards of service and quality assurance through physician and medical librarian oversight.
- Inform consumers about community resources.